Una Community Fire Department

 

FIRE SAFETY DURING POWER OUTAGE

Heating equipment is the second leading cause of residential home fires in the United States. Most heating equipment fires start as a result of misuse or improper maintenance.

Fireplaces/Wood Stoves

bullet

NEVER use flammable liquids for any reason in a fire place.

bullet

Only burn wood.

bullet

KEEP anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from the fire place.

bullet

Have your Chimney/flue inspected before every heating season.

bullet

NEVER burn trash in a fire place or stove.

bullet

Empty ashes into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep off combustible floors.

Portable Kerosene Heaters

bullet

Use ONLY the recommended fuel. Always double check.

bullet

Be sure the heater is off before refueling.

bullet

ALWAYS refuel your heater outside to keep from spilling fuel inside the house.

bullet

Store gasoline outside the house.

bullet

Maintain 36" clearance around the heater.

bullet

Maintain proper ventilation at all times.

Space Heaters

bullet

Always follow manufacturer's recommendations for installation, maintenance and use.

bullet

Always check to see that electrical wires are in good condition and are not frayed.

bullet

NEVER leave children or pets unsupervised around space heaters.

Other Tips during a Power Outage

bullet

NEVER leave candles, or kerosene lanterns burning unattended.

bullet

Don't use generators inside. They produce carbon monoxide which is a silent and odorless killer.

bullet

Make sure that the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are in good condition.

 

 

BACK